Chartwells is launching a brand new lunch menu for Secondary & Academies after the Easter holiday!
Chartwells will be launching a brand new lunch offering in Secondary and Academy schools which has been built using student’s feedback. Having been trialled for the past 12 months, we are excited to provide you and your school with a food offering that rivals the high street, which has been incredibly positively received by students and staff alike! Naturally, the menu is fully compliant to the School Food Standards, but takes the humble school lunch to the next level. So what does the new menu look like, and how did we get here?
We understand that students are increasingly influenced by the high street and within secondary schools and academies, preferences towards food are changing. Students are eating a wider variety of food than they ever have before, reflecting the true ‘Generation Z’ mantra of ‘having it their way’.
In order to deliver a brand new offer aligned to the high street and focussed on food that excites students, whilst engaging our teams on site, insight had to be at the heart of everything. Using a panel of 320 students from all secondary school age groups across the UK, their responses could segmented in to 5 clear themes.
- 1. Variety. Our menus are designed to offer more choice across the whole menu with good variety on a daily basis and ‘more of what I like’.
- 2. Customisation. Students want ‘their food, their way’. Our daily menus now allow students to mix and match from a variety of sides, rather than fixed vegetable and carbohydrate choices
- 3. Grab & Go. Students prefer options which can be eaten quickly in a location of their choice, allowing them more time to do what they want. Hand held items play an important part in the new menu
- 4. Global. Students have become used to eating a far more varied diet with the uptake of traditional ‘British meals’ being overtaken by worldwide cuisines. Our menu has a truly authentic Global feel
- 5. High Street Influencers. Students top ‘out of home’ dining brands can be easily categorised into American, Italian & Chicken, all of which feature in their own right on the new menu.
The new menu
To best reflect the feedback we have had from students, the menu has been built to offer flexibility, variety and choice on a daily basis. There are three ‘mini’ offers available every day.
- Global Adventures. This offer delivers a daily trip around the globe, and across the menu cycle includes Thai, Mexican, Chinese, Indian, Caribbean and British dishes. From the traditional Roast, to the slightly more exotic Katsu Curry, the feedback from trials points to one thing; the flavours are authentic and accessible to students
- High Street Favourites. Rotating between two much loved high street cuisines, students can choose between Wings & Things (which celebrates the chicken), and Deep South Diner which is all about the big, American flavours we know students love to eat
- The Speedy Italian. Students still love Italian food, and the Speedy Italian ensures that there is a range of dishes available every day. From Sicilian pizza, to al fornos and pasta pots, the Speedy Italian is sure to be a big hit.
Not only has the menu been completely re designed but the style of service ensures we provide an exciting and engaging offer that re energises our teams and sets us apart from our competitors.
We continue to be really proud of the food we provide to your students on a daily basis, and can’t wait to continue to surprise and delight your students with this new menu. We have attached a sample menu for your reference. For more information, please speak to your Chartwells representative.