27 February 2018
Re: School Closure
As you will be aware due to weather conditions across the region I have made the decision to close the School today.
As such, I thought it would be appropriate to share with you the factors I have to consider when such a decision is made. In the first instance I have to decide whether or not it is appropriate to close the school during severe weather based on the “inability of staff or students to attend school.”
In terms of students attending school, 80% of our students are able to walk to school. However 20% rely on local public transport – including buses and trains. 5% of our student population travel over 20+ miles to attend school every day. I therefore have to notify the bus company of my decision to close before they make their first student “pick-up” (which is at 7.30am) and also the parents of children who transport their children into school from further afield.
In terms of staff attending school, 90% of staff commute to work 10+ miles, 70% is 20+ miles, and 50% travel 25+ miles. So, for example whilst in Bridlington the weather maybe “light” snow which does not appear “severe,” many Headlands School staff travel from North Yorkshire, East Riding and the centre of Hull. Often they have very different weather, and in turn very different travel conditions.
When I make the decision to close the school it is also based on the “ability of staff to supervise students.” I have to make this decision based on the weather conditions I can either see for myself in Bridlington (or contact staff who live in Bridlington and ask for their opinion if I am unable to travel), and then make a “judgement call” based on the weather conditions that staff report to me from Hull, North Yorkshire and East Yorkshire. I also have to consider my current staff availability i.e. staff who have managed to make the journey into School. On any day staff notify me directly via my work mobile phone before 7am if they are unable to attend work.
Trust me; it is never an easy decision to make and I appreciate the support and understanding my team and I continue to have from the parents of children who attend Headlands School.
To ensure all stakeholders are informed of my decision to close, in a timely manner I need to notify my PA of my decision ideally before 7.15am to allow her to:
Finally I hope this clarifies any queries or questions you may have in relation to School Closures here at Headlands School. If not, please do not hesitate to contact me via my PA Mrs H Keyworth or email email@example.com
Mrs S Bone